Saturday, April 26, 2008

Seattle SX - Supercross Class

HOLY SMOKES!

From merely listening to the webcast from the always awesome Weege and Hollywood Holly, my heart is still pounding! I just listened to the most exciting race in a LONG, LONG time.
With 13 points to overcome, the fan favorite K-dub did exactly what he needed to. He pulled a big fat hole-shot dripping in glistening, delicious, wonderful opportunity to make up points. To add the adjectives, Reed fell down in the first turn! I was so excited at this point, I prematurely...assumed...that he and Reed were going to Vegas toe to toe.

But the night wasn't over! On one of the early laps, Windham got stuck in a tuff block cover! His bike stalled with the unholy "tuff block" cover impeding his desire to win, let alone move, and without some luck on his side, K-dub was very nearly parking his ride for the night. I was shouting curse words at the computer monitor and hitting my head on the ceiling from jumping so high trying to "E" urge K-dub back into action. But he showed some unprecedented intelligence in motocross history, going backward to get the cover out in order to ultimately go forward again! Who would think those from the south could think so well (I live in Texas...it's ok). He resumed his race in fifth place...but a distant one at that.
Reed, however, had worked his way up to a mere three back from K-dub by this time already! Now the dog had a rabbit to chase, as Windham was only a straight away.

The race was now officially on! I was then treated a the best riding clinic ever produced, as Windham had an absolute fire under his @ss with Reed matching him step for step. Windham made something along the lines of 10 seconds up to make up to pass the then leading Andrew Short for the numero uno position. Of course, he this was after making his way like a freight train through Josh Grant, Tim Ferry, and Davi Millsaps. Reed, seeing Windham's success, followed suit. But he quickly found out it wasn't as easy for him! It went so far as he and Andrew Short banging bars with one lap to go so hard that Reed nearly wadded himself into a crumpled tissue, as his hands got knocked off the bars. After the race, there was some "talking", but no knuckle samples were given.

Reed clearly expressed his distaste with the run in.
Shorty, on the other hand, had nothing to say other than racing is racing, get over it.

Shorty (an adopted Texan) is jacked, I don't think Reed wants to go there!

If you have looked to the right column on my blog, I put a think about it list, which contains "Windham mad" in its items. I did this long before Reed hurt himself, because I had thought about it.

Now that he has had his run-ins with Reed, Windham is pissed. He has been extremely serious and almost hyper focused at each round since, but in a very un-Windham like manner, instead of riding tight like he used to when he gets too serious, he has ridden like a man mad at the world. I'm so glad he has finally shown his ability, and I didn't even get to watch it yet!

Reed:
He is so fast coming through traffic, and he is an absolute monster on the bike. He rode so well to come from last to first that I absolutely applaud him in his effort this year. I already ragged on him this year once in the Daytona post, but I think he deserved some of it at the time. Now that Windham is finally responding to the challenge on the track, Reed is back in my good book. Don't forget, he is still recovering from the nastiest crash I never want to see again, which you can view here.

So.
Vegas approaches, and there is a 10 point lead held like super glue holds your fingers together by Chad Reed. After the race tonight, even Kevin almost faltered and said in an interview that the championship is out of reach. But anything can happen, and if Reed had any mechanical problems, has problems with a tuff block, or wrecks, Windham is right in it.

On to more exciting things, the outdoors. I'll detail a post later, but Windham is going to race! Only a few though, and that makes me happy. A few are better than none.


Email me with any thoughts, related or not, at aggiemoto99@yahoo.com.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: