Tuesday, April 22, 2008

An Arm and Leg

Mark these words.

The cost of racing will drive out the people that make our sport so good.

Just look at nascar. How in the heck would you ever go pro in that? Buy your own car like Ricky's? No. Try dirt track? No. Car racing has almost become reserved for the rich of wallet, not the most talented. Hell, I would LOVE to race cars, or shifter carts, or some sort of 4 wheeled vehicle, but I just plain can't afford to.

Here is the motocross story, before it goes extinct.
First came the four strokes.

  • Yeay for more usable power!
  • Yeayfor no more fouled plugs!
  • Yeay for no more premix!
  • Yeay for no more religious top end rebuilds!

But should we say:
  • Yeay for 2000 dollar engine rebuilds?
  • Yeay for heavier bikes?
  • Yeay for 5000 dollar mod bikes?
  • Yeay for increased part wear (tires, chains, sprockets)?
  • Yeay for more expensive purchase prices?
  • Yeay for the "neutral only start" routine?
  • Yeay for the death of the used bike market?

With the introduction of the four stroke in to main stream racing, you bought a lot more for each bike.

  • Valves (originally titanium)
  • Cams
  • Cool pistons
  • Oil pumps
  • Titanium exhausts
  • Carburetors with fuel squirter's (accelerator pump).

The four stroke is a technical marvel, but think for a second. Which bike requires more of a tuning knowledge? I feel the two stroke is magnanimously cooler when you look at the actual science behind the tuning.
Four strokes: more air in, higher revs, more power out.

The two stroke is a constant balance between power and ride ability.

Four strokes were great when Yamaha released them. The required almost ZERO maintenance, and were easy to go fast on for everyone. People no longer had to ride on the pipe, and the gap between beginner to novice to intermediate closed substantially.

But then came the problems (although I would like to say leave Yamaha out of it). When bikes blew up, they BLEW UP! (Ready, Inhale!) Now, a new crank was needed when the piston abruptly stopped moving from the valves sticking open because a 5 dollar valve keeper got loose requiring a new cylinder combined with a new head because the valve destroyed it (Phew! exhale!). Oil starvation required new cams and heads, sometimes a piston, and don't count out a crank after you fix the aforementioned problems because the effects of oil starvation weren't present during the rebuild. After a new reciprocating assembly, your transmission goes out, because the root of your oil starvation problems are a 3 dollar crank seal.

Then the used bike dilemma surfaced. With a particular brand of bikes experiencing valve recession, when you bought a bike, it was only a matter of time.
TICK, TOCK,
TICK, TOCK


BOOOM! There goes your brand "new" used bike.

People, realizing the problem, did a couple things. First, many completely serviced their "new" used bike, checking and often replacing every part necessary. Second, others bought new bikes only. Many raced a year, traded in, and raced another year, dumping off their used steed to some poor soul.

Of course, dealers were happy, they were selling an abundance of high mark up parts, and it wasn't their fault the bikes were breaking! They also got more shop business because the public were duped into thinking the four stroke is hard to work on.

Manufacturers were happy, they were selling more new bikes than ever, and they were selling more parts than ever, in part because mags were all raving the how great four strokes were, and in part because the pros were slowly coming round to the four stroke.

The aftermarket was happy. Exhausts now cost upwards of a grand, motor mods over a grand, pistons two hundred, weird trinkets and triple clamps surfaced to make the four stroke handle better like the two stroke. With valve failures, the aftermarket could now offer "upgraded" parts to make the bike last longer.

So yeay. Yeay for a thriving bike economy, yeay for cool technology, and yeay for faster riders.

But not really. With EFI on the horizon, jetting is no longer know how and a 2 dollar jet or a free change of the needle position. Now a computer tuner is needed when you add an aftermarket exhaust or air filter, and even more sad is that the stock jetting can be wrong.
A computer science degree is needed to work the systems. Don't beleive me? Just read about how horrible the Suzuki is stock, and how much worse the problem is with a pipe. The tuners are easily 500 bucks.

And the used bikes are REALLY in trouble. Now you may need a new injector, fuel pump or will think you do when a wire goes astray.

All for what? Did EFI really make the Suzuki better? No, it did horribly in the reviews. Did four strokes make the sport better? No, I see less and less riders every year at my local track, and it used to be packed, every practice. Now the track can barely stay afloat, and race turnouts are barely making three to a class. Are riders truly faster? The clock may say so, but their skill would belay the numbers. Put em' on a two stroke, and weep. It is that sad.


Don't feed into the B.S.
EFI will only cost more in the long run, and it doesn't make more power. Four strokes are killing the sport, and in five years, I will no longer have a local track. Hell, it's for sale as we speak.

My local track is Cycle Ranch, the BEST dirt in Texas, with one of the best layouts for true motocross, PERIOD. Don't beleive me, just ask the Alessi's, Heath Voss, Pastrana, the Hahn family, Sean Hackley, and many, many more. Dirt Rider calls it the hidden treasure in the south.
And yet, the track is going under from lack of turn out.

I'm not blatantly saying buy a two stroke, but think twice before you get that four stroke.

12 comments:

momomiester said...

Amen brother...Cost are skyrocketing in this sport..Your talking just the bike..Ad gas prices to drive to the freakin track and now it cost about 60bucks for me to go riding, let alone racing. That ads up. This is why I am nursing my RM250 till the end. I refused to buy some piece of crap 4stroke and spend a ton of money to keep it going. I would rather go on a trip to Europe each year for the money I save.

Unknown said...

What a great read. It is all so true. I started on 4, and went to 2, for the reasons you mention but mostly for the sheer FUN factor. Since I switched I've traded bikes with a few friends, 250s and 450s of all colors, and yet I still don't enjoy the ride nearly as much as my poor beat up little smoker.

Anonymous said...

Very true, Had a 4 back to a 2. Now I can relax and stop worrying about blowing the thing up, I already have my parts for a new top end and will replace it with joy. Love my smoker.

Old Kid said...

WOW !

I have been saying things like this all along.

Guys that I hang with have gone out and bought 4'strokes in the last two years. Ugh, the work they had to do (and money spent) just to get it to run without over heating is nutz !

NOW, they have just bought 2's again....and are HAPPIER !

I have been in racing since long before Travis had a free ride from Suzuki. I am from Maryland and have ridden with him and many other pro's.

Everything he does, he does on 2 strokes. Heck, back in the day he'd do triples on his 80'cc when I was on my 250.

Thank you for a very well written topic. I will keep the 2 stroke until I can no longer obtain parts for it.

-S. Williams

rookie's territory said...

nice write up dude

i graduated from smoker and went to a thumper, but am thinking of a smoker again.

Anonymous said...

Just found a link to this post. I gotta say "amen" to this. I had always ridden 4s bikes and have lost 2 of 4 to oil pump issues and top end seizure. I couldn't afford to rebuild them as the cost of a rebuild was more than the bike was worth. Then I switched to 2s and haven't looked back. The maintenance is easier, the bike is lighter, and more power. It just costs more for gas (worse millage + oil) and I go through back tires more. Four strokes are great as trail bikes and even some of the race bikes, but the cost will eventually kill them unless some big improvements are made.

Anonymous said...

you guys keep telling yourselves all this...
maybe you ingore things like the economy being in the dumpster... oh that's right the introduction of the 4 stroke is what caused that in the first place. Please...
I just got done talking to a friend of mine that had this to say (I paraphrase here): although I loved 2 strokes, I cannot afford to ride them anymore as they basically blew up every time I rode them. Pistons, rings, cylinders, clutches, reed valves, something was always going, they are absolutely garbage.

So you see it goes both ways. But obviously you can't expect a site called eternaltwostroke not to be bias.

Anonymous said...

2 words for you: WHAT EVER. I ride both my smokers(RM 85 and KTM 125) every day for at least an hour and aside from the usual expected stuff they are dead reliable. As a matter of fact I abuse the hell out of them and in two years time have never had anywhere near the problems that all my 4 stroke die hard friends have had. Biased my ass this site just tells it like it is.Give Mx back 2 the working class!! We have enough yuppie sports reserved for the privelidged
as is. And for the record I am not a four stroke hater, Im just a working father with a wife and 2 kids who wants to live life to the fullest BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

Anonymous said...

STARTED ON A 2 WENT TO 450 4 THEN BACK TO A 2!!! THEY WILL HAVE TO PRY MY 2T OIL FROM COLD DEAD FINGERS.....MY BUDDIES NEW 4T HONDA WOULDNT START THE OTHER DAY...45.00 PLUG AND VALVE ADJ AT 159.00 WOW....COULD HAVE REBUILT MY WHOLE 2T TWICE!!!!!

Unknown said...

OK, I ride an '05 CRF450 four stroke and like it a lot; however, I am a 2 stroke fan. Although my four stroke has been very reliable with very little cost to maintain, I am very nervous about an engine failure as I fear it would turn catastrophic. This thought keeps me from ever buying a used 4-stroke as well.
I have raced 2-strokes for years and finally gave in the the 4-stroke movement in 2005. I still race my '05 CRF450 because I can not afford a new 4-stroke and reluctant to buy anyones used time bomb. My lap times were the same between my 2-stroke & 4-stroke; yet, on most track conditions it was easier to go fast on the 4-stroke.
I still can not blitz the whoops or corner as well as I did on my 2-stroke, but make up for it elsewhere on the track.
I hope my bike makes it through this season without any engine troubles. My next bike will most likely be a 2-stroke. I might have to work a little harder to go fast, but I will have peace of mind and more of a fun factor when riding.

Anonymous said...

...not being biased.. I like both.. so I honestly don't care eitger way but about the "something is always going wrong" with the 2 strokes.. and always blowing the topend.. it's called jetting/air leak issues... learn how to tune/work on a 2stroke and you wont have that problem unless abusing it.. all USER ERROR. For 4strokes.. it's not user for "MOST" of the stuff that goes wrong.. some things on 4 strokes are just unreliable (valves usually messing stuff up) so upgrade them (At high costs) and take care of it... doesn't matter.. people need to just LEARN to work on their type of machine you ride .. be a 4 or 2 stroke

Anonymous said...

I think I have to agree with the last person that posted. All the problems commonly found with a 2 stroke, albeit plug fouling because you're not on the pipe in the woods, topends going out after 3 or 4 rides, are most commonly due to jetting problems, not maintaining things like they should. Your pistons shouldn't look like you threw them in the middle of a box of grenades and pulled the pins. When an actual top end wears like it's supposed to with no problems, I've seen people get 2 to 3 years out of a single build just by mixing their oil right and having their jetting right, with no air leakage. Both 4 and 2 strokes have their perks, but I think for the budget, the 2 stroke has more, if you know what you're doing with them.